Nordstrom announced earlier this week it will be permanently closing 16 of its department stores, after assessing each state that it operates in and the hit it is taking because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The company today has 116 full-line stores, absent its off-price Nordstrom Rack locations and Trunk Club business. All of its stores have been temporarily shut to try to help curb the spread of Covid-19 since mid-March.
The permanent closures, which are set to take place this year, impact Nordstrom stores across California and in Florida, New Jersey and Texas, among other states. (See the full list of the 16 stores below.) This means roughly 13.7% of Nordstrom’s department stores are being closed permanently.
“More than ever, we need to work with flexibility and speed,” CEO Erik Nordstrom said in a statement earlier this week.
The department store industry as a whole was rattled this week, beyond the news from Nordstrom. Luxury chain Neiman Marcus filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection; J.C. Penney skipped another interest payment, speeding up the clock for a possible bankruptcy filing. Lord & Taylor reportedly is looking to liquidate; and Macy’s pushed back its earnings report, offering an ominous warning to investors.
Here is the full list, confirmed by a Nordstrom spokeswoman:
- Chandler Fashion Center, 3199 W. Chandler Blvd., Chandler, Arizona
- Arden Fair Mall, 1651 Arden Way, Sacramento, California
- Paseo Nuevo, 17 W. Canon Perdido St., Santa Barbara, California
- Montclair Place, 5015 N. Montclair Plaza Lane, Montclair, California
- Westfield North County, 270 E. Via Rancho Parkway, Escondido, California
- 3601 The Galleria at Tyler, Riverside, California
- Stoneridge Shopping Center, 1600 Stoneridge Mall Road, Pleasanton, California
- FlatIron Crossing, 21 W. Flatiron Crossing Drive, Broomfield, Colorado
- Waterside Shops, 5489 Tamiami Trail N., Naples, Florida
- Dadeland Mall, 7239 N. Kendall Drive, Miami, Florida
- 1800 Annapolis Mall, Annapolis, Maryland
- Freehold Raceway Mall, 3710 U.S. Highway 9, Freehold, New Jersey
- Clackamas Town Center, SE 85th Ave., Happy Valley, Oregon
- North East Mall, 1101 Melbourne Road, Hurst, Texas
- Short Pump Town Center, 11812 W. Broad St., Richmond, Virginia
- 4000 The Mall of San Juan Blvd., San Juan, Puerto Rico